Brazil has strong credentials in terms of sustainable energy. It was a pioneer in biofuels and has a world leading ethanol industry - and the majority of its electricity is generated from hydro power. Now the Brazilian wind and solar energy markets are also taking off rapidly, in response to growing demand for energy – and helped by favourable government policies offering long term contracts to developers. Dedicated auctions over recent years, have helped wind power prices decline and for wind to become established in Brazil. Solar looks set to follow a similar trajectory: although no solar projects were successful in the recent (November 2013) energy auctions, dedicated solar auctions are likely next year.
High Growth Renewables: Brazil is part of a series of Cleantech Investor events which kicked off earlier this year with High Growth Renewables: India. The event is also affiliated to the Brazil Wind Energy Conference and Brazil Solar Energy Conference series of events which take place in Brazil.
High Growth Renewables: Brazil, sponsored by K&L Gates takes place over a morning, in London, close to St Pauls. The event will focus on the key Brazilian States operating in the renewables sector and will include representatives from both the Government of the State of Bahia and from companies active in Bahia, one of the states most well endowed with renewable energy resources in the country. There will also be speakers representing other industries such as ethanol and a discussion on the opportunities for UK and European companies to do business in Brazil.
- Hear from the Government of Bahia at High Growth Renewables: Brazil on the outcome of the November auctions and potential for future auctions for wind and solar energy.
- Bahia State representatives will also present the new wind map which indicates a significant increase in wind energy potential in the state over previous estimates.
- An update on the Brazilian ethanol market
- Experiences from UK and European companies operating in the Brazilian market - in sectors including wind turbine manufacturing (Gamesa of Spain), wind and solar project development (ENEL of Italy) and biofuels (Whitefox Technologies of the UK).
- In addition, Cleantech Investor will launch a new ‘Infocus’ publication: Bahia: Rolling Out Renewable Energy
Speakers will include:
- Marc J. Veilleux - Partner, K&L Gates
- Paulo Roberto Britto Guimarães - SCIM (Energy Department) State of Bahia
- Gamesa (speaker to be confirmed)
- Enrique de las Morenas - ENEL Green Power
- Gillian Harrison, CEO - Whitefox Technologies
- Anne McIvor - Cleantech Investor
Who should attend?
Institutional, private equity and venture capital investors with a focus on the Brazil market and an interest in energy
Corporate advisors and consultants working in cleantech and renewable energy
Renewable energy project developers or equipment suppliers interested in the Brazilian market
Government and not for profit organisations with an interest in Brazil- and specifically renewable energy in Brazil.